From June 24 Mailing List Email
As this moment of mass awakening continues I’ll be sending out ongoing resources to support all of us doing our best to meet the moment. Here are some recent favorites.
How Can We Win, by Kimberly Jones
Dr. Robin DiAngelo Wants White People to Stop Saying They’re Not Racist, with Jimmy Fallon
A Conversation About Liberation on the Eve of Juneteenth, with Malia Lazu, Verna Myers, Susanne Goldstein, and Debby Irving
Confessions of a Former Bastard Cop, by Officer A. Cab
Speak Up: Tips for Responding to Everyday Bigotry, by the Southern Poverty Law Center
Practical ways to be an ally to the Black community, by Shaelee Haaf
Open letter to white people, by Eleonora Bartoli
WORKBOOKS & CHALLENGES
Some of these start soon so check out dates ASAP
Reimagining Whiteness Virtual Workshop, with Jenna Chandler Ward and Ryan Verden
Dismantling Racism and All the Other Isms, with DiDi Delgado (Debby Irving guest co-facilitator)
National Conference for Community and Justice Anti-Racism Workshops, with Cynthia Martin, Nyaunu Stevens, and Kris Wraight
- Convening White Accountability Groups – Open Zoom 90-minute, Wednesdays 5pm ET
- Open Zoom 90-minute White Accountability sessions: Tuesdays at 3pm ET & Fridays at 5pm ET
- Interested in joining a 3-week group session? Email email@example.com
I continue to believe that Waking Up White is the starter book (that’s why I wrote it) because it offers a paradigm shift that allows white readers to contextualize the next hundreds of great books about racism to choose from. I suggest googling “antiracist booklists” and read summaries to get a feel for what interests you The more interested you are, the more you will stick with it and absorb the information. Happy learning!
From June 9, 2020 Mailing List Email
In this moment of mass awakening, I am getting inundated with inquiries from and on behalf of white people just beginning their waking up process. “Tell me what to do!” and “How can I support them?” are the primary questions.
- The 21-Day Racial Equity Habit Building Challenge – a FABULOUS free-online tool designed to push a person quickly up the learning and acting curve
- Movement for Black Lives – umbrella org for many orgs; offers daily/weekly actions
- Showing Up For Racial Justice – specifically for white people to learn and organize in ways that don’t further harm and exhaust people of color
- From Privilege to Progress – cross racial pair who write, post, keep us all informed and educated
- Waking Up White – the 101 book for white people
- Systemic Racism Explained – animated video short
- All Houses Matter – Instagram video short
- ‘There Is No Race Neutral’: ‘Nice White People Can Still Be Complicit In A Racist Society – 8 minute NPR interview with Robin DiAngelo
- 21-Day Racial Equity Challenge: Protest and Rebellion – Like the above 21-Day Challenge though focused on how Protest and Rebellion have shaped the U.S.
- See many more at debbyirving.com/resources
Sending you all love and endurance for a movement that will need longterm momentum and deep community connections to create lasting change. We can do it!